Level 2 Wheelchair Dance Instructor
This course is a 5 day residential course, and is predominantly practical. This course is suitable for parents, teachers, physiotherapists, individual disabled people and dancers/ex dancers, who wish to develop and start their own wheelchair dance group or who would like to support individuals with a disability to be involved in wheelchair dancing, it will also assist in the introduction of the basic skills and rules of wheelchair dance sport.
At the conclusion of the course the Level 2 Instructor will have:
- general theory work on establishing a wheelchair dance group.
- practical experience in wheelchair technique and terminology.
- medical theory on how different disabilities occur and how they will present to you as an instructor of wheelchair dance.
- wheelchair dance terminology including time and rhythm in dance and what characteristics are required in each dance.
- practical work in duo, combi and group wheelchair dance including pushed assisted and rollator dancing.
- have an awareness of conducting a safe session.
- contribute to the evaluation of an activity session.
All candidates will receive the WDSA (UK) Level 2 candidate pack containing guidance on all content covered on the course and Wheelchair Dance Sport Level 2 Instructor certificate. Candidates will as part of the course will evaluate one short instructor session. They will also have support from the WDSA (UK) instructor section on the website as well as the WDSA (UK) manual on setting up a group.